Friday, February 19, 2010

How does FEAR affect your life?

Hi folks,

I am sure for many of us, there are fear in our lives. The only difference is how major and minor the fear is and how we allow the fear factor affect our lives.

There is certainly no fixed measure of fear. For a 3 years old child, the fear of going down the slide is as REAL and HUGE as the fear of speaking in front of public for an adult.

One thing can be such easy for someone may proves to be a huge fearful task for another person.

The other day when I see my 20month son, Shone showing his fear to sit on the swing which I had sat with him before, it reminded me of an article I read before and instead of belittling his fear or trying to "force" on him convincing him that the "swing" is no big deal, I looked at him and put myself at his level. It is a genuine fearful task for him just as it would be for me to ride on the "Bungee-jump" or etc.

I told myself to acknowledge his fear while offering if he would like to try the swing with my assistance, and Shone did relented and allow me to put him on my lap and swing twice with him and later on..his fear persisted and I respect his fear over it and let him choose his other activities but at the same time, from time to time, I'll try and observe and offer him the swing again. Who knows, at which point of time, he would have overcame his fear for swing.

I think it works the same for adults. I have many fears in life.

Some of these fears have successfully stopped me from doing things would make my life so different and turned out more "spectacular" perhaps. It changed my life forever. The fear….a very powerful tool which when used properly can help us to perform the unbelievable and thus cement that faith, confidence and Can Do attitude in us!

At one point of time, when I am in process of overcoming my fear of bringing my two young kids out on my own, I am seeing my two kids overcoming their fear for some task in the playground. I cannot help but ask myself have I passed on my fear factor to them genetically or emotionally. This is certainly not a blame game but I do see the connection there.

As a parent we are the direct role model and influence (good and bad ones) to our children. Inevitably, all parents would want to pass on something good to their children. To be a good role model.

Therefore, we (I) should take charge and overcome the challenges in life. While doing so, I am passing on the good traits, good example and faith to my kids that yes they can do it too!

So folks, let us march on and face our fear and make them our ally!

I like to share the things I tried doing in facing my fear and eventually triumph over it…perhaps you all can share with me how you did it too? Let us all share and learn together!

 

Thanks and Cheers!

 

No comments: