Monday, March 15, 2010

Who forms your eating habits?

Hi folks,

Before I start blah-ing, have you taken your meals/snack? What did you have? Do you enjoy it? Is this what you normally eat daily?

I would think most of us, our eating habits generally influenced a lot by our parents, and then later on as we grew older, we learnt how to make our own food choices.

For me, I think the 3 guys in my life forms different parts of my eating habits in my 30 years of life.

First is my dad who used to preach that no matter how thrifty we are, never save and pinch on food. We must always eat well. True and behold, my dad made sure we have hearty would take the trouble to pack hot and yummy lunch and bring it over to school for us during our break. And every morning, before sending us to school, he would bring us to take hearty breakfast. These were the yummy eating memories I had with my dad.

Then after started dating and then married to my DH, who is a food hunter and food lover, my eating habits also started to grow from there onwards. Being a vegetarian, both of us loves hunting down/visiting new vegetarian outlets or newly discovered ones. He won't mind driving one hour just to taste the food. More often than not, friends (me included) often calls him to check out what vegetarian eating places available at certain location. So he is like a vegetarian outlet directories to many of his friends. I learnt to get pampered once in awhile not cooking at home but to hunt down vegetarian eateries. I also learnt to put more effort to make the food taste and look great when I cook as presentation and taste is so important to my DH.

Then come along my food-loving son. He is like his dad, loves eating to bits. Bring him to a wedding dinner function, you won't have much trouble with him if you can just find the right food for him to munch. He is also one who makes me eat healthier as since I am still breastfeeding him, I have to avoid some taboo food like coconut milk(or in Malay, we call it "santan") and thus curry, chilli, etc to avoid getting windy tummy. So yes, I have not feast on curry rich in coconut milk for sometime now, though I do occasionally have some which is cook with milk or simply no santan at all…

Now, how about you? Who forms your eating habits? No matter what, I think everyone of us do have a choice to choose over our eating habits. So have you started adopting a healthier eating habit as part of your New Year resolution? It's never too late to start!

Let's do it now! For me, I hope to reduce processed food and take more fruits and salad daily!

 

Cheers!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i'm the trend setter..LOL

plus i do the shopping..so every1 in this house snacks as i do & eat what i cook..

so i guess its me who should make sure its all healthy & good ;)

alohamolly said...

hih MamaMiya,

Yep, parents normally the trendsetter here ;), so we do play an important here :)

Cheers! and thanks for dropping by! :)

Hope you have a hearty and healthy day!

transformed housewife said...

my late mum before I got married and after that, my hubby. I'm a Kelantanese who prefer to eat Kelantanese food but my hubby prefer Mamak's style! The result, a bit of both or so called "fusion" food. hehe