Monday, April 20, 2009

Reducing Grocery bills...

One of the ways recommended to reduce our grocery bills is to use the house brand, i.e., for example if you frequently shop at Tesco, Carrefour or Giant hypermarket, you’ll find a lot of items under their house (Tesco/Carrefour/Giant) and its quality are not bad at all!

Previously I been trying out Tesco brand toilet rolls which has the more sheets per roll like “C**ie” brand, and it’s quite ok too.

And lately, I’ve been trying out another must have or staple on my grocery list besides rice, sugar and oil, that is the all-time favorite Bee Hoon (or vermicelli). We used to buy the H***oni brand which cost around RM2.89 (during sales it can go down to RM2.39) which according to my dad taste better and easier to cook. But to buy that too often does add up to my grocery bill quite a bit. So I am experimenting cooking with house brand and tried Tesco and Giant ones..so far the verdict is wow…not too big difference in terms of taste..I think it’s more of the cook! Hehe…not to say I am a good cook but I did picked up some Bee Hoon frying skills by watching some aunties with superb Bee Hoon taming skills..haha…so in this way we can have more fried bee hoon in a month that we were to buy the branded ones…

Give and take we can still enjoy yummy Bee Hoon and other stuff at a more affordable price with the current economy situation….we have to make a stringent and best decision. In other words, “Be a smart & innovative consumer”!

So what other experiments you guys have taken or plan to take/heard of as ways to reduce your monthly bills/expenditure? Care to share?

Hear from you folks!

 

Happy experimenting!  =)

No comments: