Friday, May 22, 2009

What special stuff you ate or always eat or plan to eat on your birthday?

Recently a friend of mine (who has the same birthday as I am and coincidently his dotter’s birthdate..yes birthdate here means even the year is the same as my dotter..how small can this world of coincidence be haha..try getting a table full of-means 10 pax the same birthdate all being your friends..wow…ONG- “lucky” man…)

Anyway just like to share this recipe he shared with me…Rock Sugar Noodles which is a traditional Teochew dish that is served for VIPs only. So taking this on your birthday (being a Teochew descendant I am) supposed to give me some ONG so to speak…haha…well at least this is what I would like to think it ..ha..ha…

So core ingredients would be:

  • Egg
  • Noodle
  • Rock sugar
  • Water 

That’s all.

Steps:

Put some rock suger in water and boil it until it is boiled and melted. Then, u put in the egg (of coz without the shell). Be careful not to break the yolk. We need to turn our fire to minimum now and then slow cook.

Note: Noodle is to be cooked separately or we can just add just egg as dessert, but for birthday normally these two items are eaten together.

So after put in the egg, stir really slowly on one way (either clock wise or anti-clockwise). This is to prevent the egg from sticking to the bottom of the pan/pot and at the same time to keep the egg in nice, round shape. Then, stir a while as we can see the egg white cooked a bit, and then we can let it stay a while (for 3 to 5 minutes) until the egg yolk is cooked.

Then we can have a bowl of rock sugar egg noodle and it will rock us up! Yeah…ONG..ONG…haha..

 

Cheers to all! Wait till after I experiment with this recipe and update the outcome of it..haha….

4 comments:

Josephine said...

har?
then the soup mah sweet sweet loh...
Hojiak meh?
Not salty one meh?

Chinneeq said...

hi, i m a teochew too! and there are so many good teochew food that i wish i could make!

alohamolly said...

Hi Jo, I asked my friend(who provided the recipe) the same question(haha) and he said(yes is a he =P)..by the time the egg is cooked the water would have gone? Not sure the correct term to use..but yea that is no more sugary water left behind..and this can be served as a dessert on its own.....but I think I would cook the noodle as the salty one :P can't think of thinking a sweet noodles... :P

alohamolly said...

H Mummy to QiQi..

Wow..[High Five]..though I am 100% Teochew(both my parents are) BUT I am not good at the language nor the food :P but I love Teochew style Bak Chang..yummy....