Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Constipation on kids

Constipation makes kids stomach bloaty- if there such a word.

KY would sometimes complained to me that her stomach pain then I would check her tummy and often find her stomach rather huge...and "bloaty".

Some of the ways I found to be found useful to prevent constipation in kids are:
  1. Feed them oatmeal every morning. My son would normally do the "business" right after each oatmeal breakfast so much so that DH and I would be on standby to wash Shone up after feeding him oats.
  2. Give them fruits daily, like kiwi, papaya, bananas, guava (I find that these fruits helps in bowel movement)
  3. Make them drink lotsa water. Every morning after wakes up, once they wake up from nap and before they nap.
Some of the ways I used to make KY drink lotsa water are:
  1. I made her check her urine each time she pass urine. If it is yellow color and smelly(70% of the time IT IS!), means she didn't drink enough water and she would need to drink lotsa water immediately..normally this works..
  2. I would do rounds of toasting with her...wedding-style like-YAM....SENG....or western style....CHEERS..... with my water bottle and hers...
  3. Let her have her favourite Yakult drinks and sometimes 100plus as well...(nope she doesn't like Ribena...at all)
As for Shone, he loves to drink...most of the time he would not refuse any water unless he doesn't feel thirsty or he prefers milk at that point of time. Else he would normally drink water as and when we pass him his water bottle.

I think the fact that he's been trained since newborn(as early as 2 weeks' old) to drink water after each feed and each time he wakes up helps. Although it may be contradicting what most experts says about not feeding a breastfed baby water as breastmilk contains lotsa water.

BUT I find that KY which I follow the expert's advice doesn't like drinking water later on...but with Shone I followed my auntie's(who's a nurse in S'pore and breastfed her two child) who feels that in our type of weather..drinking water is very important even for breastfed child as long as it doesn't interfere with their breastmilk intake.

So well..it's very much up to our own discretion and wisdom? Check out this article in TheStar , "Is your child constipated? "

Water water...drink lotsa water does help to prevent constipation I felt...

Cheers....have some water NOW!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

for my daughter, she will be easily constipated if she have rice.

so out little trick, daily i will make sure she have yogurt for about 100g. then she got no prob with poopoo. if i dont give yogurt, usually she wont poop that day.

alohamolly said...

ah...yogurt..another food worth trying..thanks for sharing mama-miya! :)

Cheers!

Josephine said...

Can also feed them prunes...

alohamolly said...

Thanks Jo..that reminds me of my prunes sitting in the fridge :P