Monday, June 8, 2009

Cost per child


How much does it cost per child?...This is one of the question my friends(not mothers yet) used to pose to me.

Actually it very much depends on:
1) Where you are staying
2) Who you will be placing your child at , i.e. whether you taking care yourself, getting your parents to take care for you, sending to child-care or babysitter
3) The type of things you planning to get for your child, be it insurance plan, education savings fund, babies stuff, toys, learning programme etc

I have never thought of this question until when my sister-in-law mentioned it once...and I do think that it's very important question to think about for those who planning to have child/children. More so if you plan to have more than one child.

For us,
1) Staying in KL city
2) Both of us(me and DH) working, thus sending to babysitter(we chose babysitter instead of child care centre for convenience and avoid spreading of germs which is common and unavoidable) 
3) We invest in medical, life-insurance and education savings, buy moderately good quality stuff for our child(depends what items) 
And being a shopaholic mom I am, I must admit, I am the biggest culprit for over-spending I guess... :P

So how much on average for a young baby cost(I have not reach the stage of pre-schooler or schooling kids expenses yet but I guess it would roughly be almost the same, perhaps some of the mommies out there can share about this stage) is MYR1000.

Yup..and these expenses is the basic items which included:
1) Babysitter monthly fees - depending on areas and Chinese babysitter can easily cost you RM650-750 per child in KL and most Selangor area.
But somehow, I was told that many Indians and Malays charge only RM120-300 for same service...hmm..so why do Chinese babysitter market seems better? This, I am not sure...
2) Diapers(unless you cloth-diaper your baby)
3) Milk powder(unless you fully-breastfeed your child)
4) Monthly insurance and savings fund

Excluded are:
1) Immunisation/Injections (unless you opt out the optional injection or get it FOC at govt. clinic) else per jab cost you easily MYR100 plus or minus depending what jab you are taking at the private clinics/hospital
2) Baby equipments, attires, toys, etc etc..(this list can never ends..haha..especially for shopaholic mom like me :P )

For a more thorough advice, do check out the article in Parenthots: Starting a family – how much RM do you need?

Cheers to all! Happy Parenthood!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

my pead once told me that it will cost USD1mil for parents to raise a child in a modern & acceptable average environment, until the kid gradaute from uni & have his/her own job.

so my conclusion, parents who have gone thru raising kids are people who have earned a million bucks!!

Unknown said...

i'm curious that a lot of ppl i know go to private practitioners for immunisation when it's provided FOC by the government. Why is that so? Quality related?

alohamolly said...

Hi Mama-miya- Yup I truly agree...all parents(mine included) would be millionares without us :P haha..Thanks to all the sacrifices our parents made for us! All d dollars and time..

alohamolly said...

Hi Laine,
I think it's more about time and "trust" or reliability.

Because govt. clinic requires us to be there during weekdays whereas at private, you can go during Sunday.

Plus, at clinic is done by nurse and some people experience(myself included) not very profesional "jab" given by them which causes(in my case) my son's thigh to be swollen(they accidentally jab on his veins)..sad..

Unknown said...

i had write about this post on my blog. do visit here :

http://kambingbujang.blogspot.com/2009/07/cost-of-having-children-my-estimation.html