Friday, June 5, 2009

Green Ways we can impart to our children


Today, 5th June is World Environment Day, lately I stumbled upon some really interesting articles and people who are doing their bits to conserve the earth.

You can check out some of these articles here:

1) Start 'em young, says filmmaker in Parenthots

2) Little deeds that add up in The StarOnline

3) Rules not in place in TheStarOnline

4)Climate-saving tips in TheStarOnline

Indeed, I agree with one of the interviewee, Mr. Lu Chen Pin said, we have a lot to learn from our parents and older generation on conservation efforts. 

Before this the Reverse-Osmosis(RO) water disposal(the filtered waste water) in my house is left to flow away when my small bucket is full and we did not replace another bucket to refill the water, then my dad suggested why not get a bigger bucket for this purpose...little things like this..I am sure many of us would have thought of it..but how many of us really put it into act.

I think many of us(myself included) needs a lot of constant reminders, ideas, and innovative campaign etc to really be in the "green: mode automatically...we are far behind compared with many western countries like Sweden, Germany and etc in this field...but slowly or steadily(hopefully quickly) we Malaysians shall pick up and play our part as well.

For me, what I have practice or make it habit:

1) Power off, and pull out the cord as well(for me) the unused power outlets (no more standby mode)

2) Full load laundry or handwash for urgent(soiled or stained clothes for e.g.) laundry

3) Switch off the air-cond after the room is cool or don't use it at all during cooler nights

4) Not using the hot water pot(erm after it got spoilt from frequent on and off :P ), but boil as and when I need

5) Buy local products/vegetables and fruits

6) Use Reusable shopping bag (put it in my office drawer, in the car and at home) whenever possible

7) Read, read and adopt more green efforts ( I think this is important..there are just so many innovative and clever green ideas adopted by many people)

8) Go paperless as much as possible, read newspaper online, use double-sided and two pages in one printing etc

And which I like to do soon:

1) Grow some herbs(basil, mint) and plants(chilli etc) at my small balcony- I used to grow mints, basil and pumpkin and believe me...it's pesticide-free and TASTE REALLY GOOD!

2) Separate the bins- paper, plastic, glass -label it and get DH and KY do the same

Note: KY is good at picking up our action now..she would switch off the fan herself (without being told) after she wake up and throw rubbish at the designated place

3) Bicycle..hmm..perhaps in our city drivers it's bit hard..but hmm..this can be one good outings with kids

4) Experiment with DIY household non-toxic cleaners (using baking soda, vinegar and etc)

What other green ways we can practice and thus impart to our children? Care to share?

Hear from you folks!

Cheers! Have a green day everyday!

 

No comments: