Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Passion vs. Practicality

Hi folks,
Have you ever face a dilemma whereby you need to choose between your Passion vs. Practicality of life?
Which would you choose?
Passion or Practicality?
If it is Passion, why?
If it is Practicality, why?
Or perhaps you have chosen, and what have you experienced thus far?
Do you still think what you have chosen is a good choice?
Two and a half year ago, I chose practicality over passion and even money.
I must say, it may not be the BEST decision I have made 'cos I suffered a bit due to lack of $ and of course having to start all over again learning something new instead of pursuing and continuing my passion.[I am talking about my career changes and how it has impacted my life thus far].
However, I don't regret over it as I picked up something new and the fact that this job provides me the much needed Work from Home flexibility which helped me to continue working(and of course providing source of income) during my VERY BAD morning sickness during my second pregnancy(this symptom is called "hyperemesis graviduram", nope the usual morning sickness spell that hits most pregnant women, but a minority women who had it and some even needed to do abortion when they simply cannot manage this "sick" spell).
Therefore, I feel that even though I lose out in terms of career progression and financial gain, I gained something else-> Time with my family as well as time to explore other things in life and work.
Now, if you are given another chance to choose, would you still choose practicality over passion?
What if the passion gives you nothing(not totally financially-rewarding) but allowing you a chance to work on your passion. Yet you need to put in more time and money for the job. Would you still choose Passion, in this case?
I hope to hear from all of you who have faced such dilemma or have some wise words/experiences to share on this topic!
Thank you very much in advance!
Cheers!

3 comments:

transformed housewife said...

I chose practicality before and I would still go back to it when I get back to Msia. I'll pursue my passion when I have enough money as my passion is to open my own kindy that encourage a lot of helps form the parents.

kazee sion said...

It's a good thing that you've learned from your mistake. Family comes first and it's nice that you don't have any regret despite of your lost in terms of career and financial. I am also proud of you that you are able to cope your morning sickness problem without leading to possible abortion and find cure to morning sickness

alohamolly said...

Thanks everyone for your input!

Much appreciate it!

Cheers!