Monday, April 5, 2010

Being Right over Being Kind

Hi folks,

Something I have been thinking aloud to myself. As we are living in a society that preaches human rights, consumer rights and all types of rights that slowly we started to live in a better world? Or don't we?

Something has been "circling" in my mind when something is obviously your rights to do so, yet another side of you is telling you that it's not right. So now, it became not so clear whether you should choose to "Be right over being kind", in this perspective.

For example, perhaps after lending someone money to get over his or her difficult situation and then as when the situation of this person improves, it is only right and it is our right to get back the money we lent out. However, why there is such guilt exist when we collect back the money? Is it because we felt it should be given away as "charity" and not something we should ask to be returned.

There are still many issues that brought up this issues of "Being Right over Kind" or vice versa for me.

Like for e.g. , when I stubbornly refused to pass my not- even-one-month old baby around during the Full Moon Party although the elder one has such custom; for fear the of infection to the baby. I may appear "rude" or "unkind" for rejecting whatever kind intention the elder had in mind, for the sake of my baby, I chose to be "Right" over being "Kind". I refused to let them carry the baby around, passing from one adult to another during the full moon, yup, they did it during KY's time and I fiercely insist to DH that no passing around during Shone's time, else I said I prefer no Full Moon Party at all, preferring to give Full Moon gift pack instead.  Very bad huh? Bet DH had a difficult time then, sandwiched between two stubborn women.

But,  motherly instinct and common sense told me not to follow their custom. I don't think anyone would disagree with me on the risk of adult passing "germs" to the baby is so high…anyway, at that time, I need no one to agree with my point. Better to be safe than to be sorry.

However, I still really need to learn to discern which situation I should be Kind rather than Right. Or at least handle being Right with a touch of kindness…wow..sounds like a big task.

Just my thought…

From a "Fiercefully stubborn" mommy…

Cheers!

4 comments:

transformed housewife said...

I reckon you're not the only stubborn mommy. I do agree that sometimes we are torn to choose between "being right over being kind". Yup, it's tough.

Merryn said...

i chose being right over being kind all the time too since i became a mother! u r not alone there :D

adrianathani said...

I do agree that this is an issue faced by a lot of mothers nowadays (we're more educated and have access to a lot more information)...I am constantly battling with certain people when I choose "being right" VS "being kind". The best example is use of carseats - I don't see how being "kind" by allowing people to hold my kids in the car, can win over being "right" - by putting my kids' safety first!

alohamolly said...

Thx for all ur comment Kak Nura, Merryn, glam.mama... So I am not alone at all on this path ;)

may we all make the right though tough decision for the benefit of the most important stuff/ person in life!

Cheers!