Thursday, April 22, 2010

Earth Day Pledge

Hi folks!

Today April 22, is Earth Day.

I have been hearing lotsa announcement, events, articles commemorating this special day such as the Earth Day Carnival, Ikano Center, 15-25 April 2010.

Looking back, with the help of the media (newspaper, radio, television) and lotsa green mommy bloggers I've got to know as well as the online shops selling greener methods like Mamapatch, Tiny Tapir, etc, I have been gradually adopting a greener lifestyle besides continuing my vegetarian diet and lifestyle for more than 17 years now.

Some of the things I have adopted:

1)      Supporting Bring Your Own Bag(BYOB) campaign

2)      Using Cloth Diaper

3)      Using Cloth Pad

4)      Reduce Carbon Footprint by consciously buying local vegetables and fruits (as much as possible organic ones, free from pesticides), buying local-made products, eat at home more frequently, reducing the needs to go out for food

5)      Bring my own lunchboxes to work or to pack my food

6)      (RECYCLE) Separate my garbage: plastic, glasses, paper, waste material

7)      (REUSE)Donate unwanted stuff to charity

8)      (REDUCE) Buy refill pack, buy with a list, do not spend unnecessarily (cut two of my credit cards, reduce my grocery purchase to 2-3 times a month instead of weekly), clear current stock before buying.

 

Things I still got to improve or start doing:

1)      Start learning how to make compost to clear the #1 challenge of not using any plastic bags for garbage.

2)      Learn how to make and utilize garbage enzyme despite my wariness of using it (yea..call this ignorance..but I still find it rather unhygiene to use cups washed with it..or let baby crawl on floors mopped with it.. shy…I really need to get to know more of the details or science and beauty behind this marvelous green method and start using it ;)

3)      Use my compost to grow some eatable vegetables like chilli, mint, basil (I have tried growing pumpkin with the compost I made before..looks mini but yummy!!)

So yep, not making big pledge here, but at least I am striving to look into the most crucial item- the garbage. And I think it is quite workable 'cos:

1)      By reducing my purchase and buy more refills and products with less packaging, I have already reduce lotsa unnecessary garbage

2)      Ever since switching to reading newspaper online, that minus off another pile of papers stacking away

3)      By dividing the garbage to:

a.       Paper

b.      Plastic

c.       Glass

d.      Vegetables/Fruit peels (for making compost)

And by using cloth diapers, cloth pad, reusable bags, I think pretty much sorted out the garbage I need to discard properly. What other rubbish that I might need other ways to manage/dispose it..hmm..how about dust..can be throw into compost bin?

 

Need to do more research and experiment on this..anyhow..finally I realized, there is really such a solution of not having too much rubbish and not having enough plastic bag to store and discard it.

Wish me luck to a greener life…that's what little things I can do for you, dear Earth!

Hope you grow healthily and my kids are able to enjoy your company!

Cheers!

 

 

 

 

6 comments:

Hanz Jamaludin said...

WoW! U've done lotsa green stuff, Molly! Congratulations!!!

Care to share yours in mine (sticky post)? Brief one will do.I've been wanting to make compilation & brainstorm for some project. Thanks in advance! :>

alohamolly said...

Thanks Hanz!

U ar one green mommy yourself!

Sure..how do I contribute, would you like to grab whatever you need here for your compilation (just make a simple acknowledgement to my site :)

I think what I have done are simple measures/changes that everyone is capable of doing :)

Cheers!

cre8tone said...

Do this everyday :)

Unknown said...

molly... bravo.. clap clap clap..
u give me some ideas to practise it at home.. ;)

LionGirl said...

The most successful I've done is keeping my plants alive and healthy. Consider that helpful to earth day?

The rest that you are already doing, err, guess I still have a long way to go....

Shame on me, sigh.

alohamolly said...

Hi prince n princess mum, Kak Yong & Lion Girl,

Let us all keep sharing, inspiring and motivates people around us to take green steps a step at a time, starting from us ;) !

Cheers!