Friday, April 23, 2010

Hardworker

Hi folks,
Last Friday, my girl, KY brought me her nursery workbook and showed me what she has learnt and the stickers and stars (as reward for her good work) she earned. I just nod in approval while I was breastfeeding Shone on the sofa. Then KY continues to read me from her reading book and asked me now and then whether she has read correctly or whether the word is pronounced correctly. I was still busy with folding clothes at that time (as usual, normally after work I would be busy with kids and housework).
Honestly, I have not been paying as much attention as I should on KY since she started nursery this year. What have I been busy with? Kind of feeling guilt and regrets…
Then before she sleeps, she showed me the "Message Book" of her nursery which consist of notices that the nursery wanted to inform the parents like timetable, charity/ donation collection, and gasp…then only I saw this month, they have additional language and Maths classes for kids age 4-6 with additional payment ranging from RM65-120 (excluding transport fees of RM15-20) as it is held after class. Wow…can't imagine that, so young they are having something like "tuition" classes…
Then when I flip to the other page which KY told me that the Teacher said I must sign on the chop stating "Parents/Guardian signature here". What was that notice? KY will be having her exam in May 19. Wow…my gosh…exam for my 3 + yr old KY. Aiyoyo…should I be thankful that I missed the April additional classes notice so that spares KY from attending long hours of classes each day and of course burning a small hole in mommy's pocket for paying those classes?
Now, I strive to spend more time with her at nite and during weekend to go through briefly her work with her in a relaxing way, FOC and bonding time. Actually KY is the one who get me to go through with her every nite. So ashamed of myself..really been neglecting her progress. Now I know why sometimes there are remarks saying that parents push the responsibilities of educating their kids to teachers. 'Cos I noticed such thought in me(especially when I am so exhausted and plain lazy) that my girl went to nursery, so fine, she would have gain some "education" work done. So I did not take the extra effort to check her work or go through the reading with her besides asking her what she has learnt/eat/do in school today(standard daily question).
So, starting from Monday, I tried to get DH to go through with her(at her request) while I BF Shone. Once I am done with Shone, then I took over and go through the reading with her while DH try to put Shone to bed. And KY such a hardworker and would work through the nite…phew until this mommy battery flat..and had to asked her to stop but she resisted and want to do one more page…and I said it would be the LAST PAGE for tonight and we would continue tomorrow night. When she is done with the last page, she wants to do another page of the math workbook I got her from Tesco. And this mommy look at the clock, and it's already near 10pm and her normal bed time is 9.30pm, so I resist and insist she keep her book and go to bed. KY started throwing tantrums and cried. I just left her to cry as I do not want to create a scene, plus I am really tired for such a long day. Honestly, I feel bad for making her cried so long and for such reason that she wants to do her so-called "homework".

Second day, I improved my technique. At 9pm, I set my alarm clock together with KY, saying that we shall stop the last work when the alarm clock rings at 9.15pm and we shall go and brush our teeth and read our bedtime story together at bed. To which she agreed without much fuss (now I remembered reading this technique in one of the mommy blog or parenting articles..so it does works!). So when the clock rings, as usual she wanted to do just one more page, instead of struggling with her and make a scene, I just patiently go through with her and that's it. Just extra 1minute and I can get a happy girl and get my happy sleep. Phew…
By the way, second nite is so much easier as Shone(the workbook snatcher is away at sleep), TV is off, housework is on hold), KY just love having my full attention. While she worked on the colouring, I briefly walk away to do my laundry :P Had to steal some time yeah…else I would have loads of un-washed clothes…and DH would came and asked me, "Where's my pants dear?"….such is the day of a Full Time Working Mother…

Hope it doesn't bored you with this entry!
Have a lovely time with your "Hardworker"! I hope mine will continue such diligence when she goes to primary-secondary and university next time..but sure love her to enjoy her playtime too!

Cheers!

4 comments:

transformed housewife said...

most kindergartens in Msia now is actually terrifying me! seriously! I've heard about the tuitions and exams for kindy children which I find so ridiculous. We're going back for good to Msia next Friday and my eldest daughter who's 5, needs to be sent to a kindy. I guess I'll be like you too.

MieVee @ MummysReviews.com said...

Great that your girl is very diligent and enjoys learning. Do help her maintain this love for learning and she'd definitely do well. :)

alohamolly said...

Yep Kak Nura, scares me..

alohamolly said...

MieVee, I do have a lot of work to do on this dept., on how to nurture and facilitate her learning..definitely need to read up and research more on this aspect..thanks for the reminder!